Review by Marisa Brown
As the funk and soul resurgence continues to grow and increase in popularity, more and more DJs, collectors, and fans are having to turn less to older material to get their fix of horns and deep bass grooves. One series that highlights some of the best contemporary funk bands is British DJ Adrian Gibson's Stay on Groove. Gibson, who runs Freestyle Records, does make sure to include enough of his label's roster on 2006's Let the Groove Move You: 20 Modern Funk Anthems (the second in the series), but all of them are worthy of the honor. The groups come from all over the world, which not only proves funk's ability to transcend cultural and linguistic barriers contemporarily, it places it as an important global musical touchstone. The focus is on the U.K. here, particularly Will Holland and his burgeoning funk enterprise. He has his hand in a couple of tracks here -- Quantic Soul Orchestra's "Pushin' On," the Limp Twins "A Day in the Life of Mr Jones" (alongside members of Australia's the Bamboos), and Orasio Garcia & Young Musicians Aware's "Outer Space, Pt. 1" -- but nearly equal is the continental European presence, with both the German Poets of Rhythm and the Dutch Soul Snatchers having a track apiece included. Gibson does not neglect the U.S., either, though he does pull from the fairly typical (albeit excellent) sources: Sharon Jones, Breakestra, and the Budos Band. Most exciting, however, is the previously unreleased Desco 45 "Wind Your Clock (Pts. 1 & 2)," which is gritty and soulful and indignant and fun, everything good funk music should be, and is a great way to end an already excellent compilation.
1. Bamboos & Alice Russell - Step It Up (3:33)
2. Cookin' On 3 Burners - Cressy St Breakdown (4:15)
3. Breakestra - Got To Let Me Know (3:26)
4. Poets Of Rhythm - More Mess On My Thing (4:03)
5. Quantic Soul Orchestra & Alice Russell - Pushin On (3:16)
6. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Genuine (3:53)
7. Orasio Garcia & Young Musicians Aware - Outer Space (4:17)
8. Marva Whitney - I Am What I Am (4:36)
9. Speedometer - At The Speakeasy (3:14)
10. New Mastersounds - Give Me A Minute (3:01)
11. Boogaloo Investigators - Let's Work A While (3:30)
12. Quartertones - Caffeine (3:24)
13. Limp Twins - Another Day In The Life Of Mr Jones (3:11)
14. Budos Band - Budos Theme (3:05)
15. Soul Snatchers - Get Yourself Together (3:13)
16. Kashmere Stage Band - Superstrut (6:38)
17. Apples - Attention (3:34)
18. Clarence Foster & The Internal - Fry Chicken In Your Hotpants (1:45)
19. Natural Self & Alice Russell - I Don't Need This Trouble (3:59)
20. Naomi Davis - Wind Your Clock (5:06)
MORE Acid Jazz ...
This file is intended only for preview!
I ask you to delete the file from your hard drive after reading it.
thank for the original uploader