Review from AllMusic (by Scott Yanow):
For this set of unaccompanied solos, guitarist Joe Pass decided to pay tribute to Charlie Parker, not by recording his compositions but by playing ten of the numbers that Bird had recorded with strings during 1949-1950. One really does not miss the strings, for Pass had earlier in the decade developed his technique to the point where he sounded like a self-sufficient orchestra. Among the songs he plays are "Just Friends" (the most successful of the Charlie Parker with Strings recordings), "April in Paris," "They Can't Take That Away from Me," "If I Should Lose You," and two versions of "Out of Nowhere." Tasteful and swinging music by one classic musician in homage to another.
https://www.allmusic.com/album/i-remember-charlie-parker-mw0000691113
///////
Reseña de AllMusic (por Scott Yanow):
Para este set de solos sin acompañamiento, el guitarrista Joe Pass decidió rendir homenaje a Charlie Parker, no grabando sus composiciones sino tocando diez de los temas que Bird había grabado con cuerdas durante 1949-1950. Uno realmente no echa de menos las cuerdas, pues Pass había desarrollado su técnica en la década anterior hasta el punto de sonar como una orquesta autosuficiente. Entre las canciones que toca están "Just Friends" (la más exitosa de las grabaciones de Charlie Parker con cuerdas), "April in Paris", "They Can't Take That Away from Me", "If I Should Lose You" y dos versiones de "Out of Nowhere." Música elegante y swingueante de un músico clásico en homenaje a otro.
https://www.allmusic.com/album/i-remember-charlie-parker-mw0000691113
1 - Just Friends
2 - Easy to Love
3 - Summertime
4 - April in Paris
5 - Everything Happens to Me
6 - Laura
7 - They Can't Take That Away from Me
8 - I Didn't Know What Time It Was
9 - If I Should Lose You
10 - Out of Nowhere (Concept I)
11 - Out of Nowhere (Concept II)
Credits:
Joe Pass - Guitar (Solo, Unaccompanied)
Compositions:
Just Friends - John Klenner / Sam M. Lewis
Easy to Love - Cole Porter
Summertime - George Gershwin / Ira Gershwin / DuBose Heyward
April in Paris - Vernon Duke / E.Y. "Yip" Harburg
Everything Happens to Me - Tom Adair / Matt Dennis
Laura - Johnny Mercer / David Raksin
They Can't Take That Away from Me - George Gershwin / Ira Gershwin
I Didn't Know What Time It Was - Richard Rodgers / Lorenz Hart
If I Should Lose You - Ralph Rainger / Leo Robin
Out of Nowhere (Concept I) - Johnny Green / Edward Heyman
Out of Nowhere (Concept II) - Johnny Green / Edward Heyman
Production:
Produced by Norman Granz
Recorded February 17, 1979 at Group IV Studios, Hollywood, California
Label: Pablo Today 2312-101 (original LP, 1979) / Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-602-2 (1991 CD reissue)
Country: US
Released: 1979 (original) / 1991 (OJC CD reissue)
Genre: Jazz
Style: Bop, Guitar Jazz, Standards, Mainstream Jazz, West Coast Jazz
Duration: 48:30
Sources:
https://open.spotify.com/album/5xID6lKLOPOhRlVM1UTVfW
https://www.allmusic.com/album/i-remember-charlie-parker-mw0000691113
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Remember_Charlie_Parker
https://www.discogs.com/master/502798-Joe-Pass-I-Remember-Charlie-Parker


No comments:
Post a Comment