egroj world: Marva Whitney • It's My Thing

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Marva Whitney • It's My Thing



Corista y vocalista de James Brown esta dama del funk y funky, poco conocida en países de habla hispana, es lo más parecido al mísmísimo James, en versión femenina.
 
 
Reseña:
Como cualquier disco producido por James Brown y con los poderosos JB's como grupo de acompañamiento, It's My Thing es un disco de funky a tope. Marva Whitney cantó en la James Brown Revue de 1967 a 1969, y en 1969 publicó este disco. No sólo produjo Brown, sino que escribió o coescribió la mayoría de los temas y básicamente suena como un disco de James Brown con una cantante femenina. Una cantante femenina dura y agresiva. Marva suena como si pudiera enfrentarse a cualquier persona y dejarla temblando en sus botas de go-go. Desde la explosión inicial de "It's My Thing, Pt. 1" y "Pt. 2", una reescritura de "It's Your Thing" de los Isley Brothers, grita, exhorta, grita, y básicamente lo deja todo mientras la banda hace un groove tras otro. Afortunadamente, después de cuatro temas agotadores, Marva baja el ritmo con "If You Love Me", una balada de corazón roto al estilo de Otis Redding. Después de una pausa instrumental, vuelve a la carga con "Unwind Yourself", que cuenta con una línea de vientos clásica y una vocalización enérgica de Marva. El resto del disco sigue la misma pauta de un par de temas y una balada. El punto álgido del disco es "I'm Tired I'm Tired I'm Tired (Things Better Change Before It's Too Late)", un lamento funky (sí, todos los temas de este disco son funky) que detalla lo cansada que está Marva de que la sociedad la menosprecie. Mira cómo Brown se desmelena en el fondo hacia la mitad de la canción. El disco tiene cinco temas adicionales añadidos al álbum original, entre los que se incluyen la lenta "I Made a Mistake Because It's Only You, Pts. 1 & 2" y un dúo con James Brown en "Sunny". Este es un gran disco y es una pena que esté en un sello tan pequeño y no en uno de los principales sellos de reedición, porque Marva merece un mayor reconocimiento. No dudes en buscarlo. http://www.allmusic.com/album/its-my-thing-mw0000456944

//////////////////////////////

Review:
Like any disc produced by James Brown and featuring the mighty JB's as a backing group, It's My Thing is a stone-cold funky record. Marva Whitney sang in the James Brown Revue from 1967 to 1969, and in 1969 she released this record. Not only did Brown produce but he wrote or co-wrote most of the tracks and it basically sounds like a James Brown record with a female singer. A tough, aggressive female singer. Marva sounds like she could take any comers and leave them shaking in their go-go boots. From the opening blast of "It's My Thing, Pt. 1 and "Pt. 2," a rewrite of the Isley Brothers' "It's Your Thing, she shouts, exhorts, wails, and basically lets it all hang out as the band lays down groove after groove. Thankfully after four exhausting tracks, Marva slows it down with "If You Love Me," an Otis Redding-style broken-hearted ballad. After an instrumental break she jumps right back into the funky fray with "Unwind Yourself," which features a classic horn line and some gritty vocalizing from Marva. The rest of the record follows this pattern of a couple of stompers and a ballad. The highlight of the record is "I'm Tired I'm Tired I'm Tired (Things Better Change Before It's Too Late)," a funky (yes, every track on this disc is funky) lament that details just how tired Marva is of society putting her down. Check out Brown going wild in the background about halfway through the song. The disc has five bonus tracks added to the original album, including the slow-burning "I Made a Mistake Because It's Only You, Pts. 1 & 2" and a duet with James Brown on "Sunny." This is a great record and it is a pity that it is on such a tiny label and not one of the major reissue labels, because Marva deserves wider recognition. By all means seek this one out. http://www.allmusic.com/album/its-my-thing-mw0000456944






Tracklist:
1. It's My Thing (Part 1)
2. It's My Thing (Part 2)
3. Things Got To Get Better (Get Together)
4. What Kind Of Man
5. If You Love Me
6. In The Middle (Instrumental)
7. Unwind Yourself
8. You Got To Have A Job (If You Don't Work, You Can't Eat)
9. I'll Work It Out
10. Get Out Of My Life
11. I'm Tired I'm Tired I'm Tired (Things Better Change Before)
12. Shades Of Brown (Instrumental)
13. I Made A Mistake Because It's Only You (Part 1)
14. I Made A Mistake Because It's Only You (Part 2)
15. What Do I Have To Do To Prove My Love To You
16. He's The One
17. This Girl's In Love With You
18. Sunny (Duet With James Brown)









MORE funk ...





This file is intended only for preview!
I ask you to delete the file from your hard drive or device after reading it.
thank for the original uploader






 






2 comments:

  1. Thanks egroj, Remembering Marva on her birhday (May 1, 1944 – December 22, 2012)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob, I go to blog, many thanks for your invitation.
      ;)

      Delete