martes, 2 de mayo de 2017

Richard ''Groove'' Holmes • Soul Message



Review by Scott Yanow
Organist Richard "Groove" Holmes hit upon a successful formula on this Prestige session (reissued on CD in the OJC series), mixing together boogaloo rhythms with emotional solos. His double-time version of "Misty" became a big hit, and the other selections, including Horace Silver's "Song for My Father" and a pair of soulful originals, are in a similar vein. The lone ballad of the set ("The Things We Did Last Summer" is a fine change of pace. With the assistance of guitarist Gene Edwards and drummer Jimmie Smith, Groove Holmes shows that it is possible to create music that is both worthwhile and commercially successful.


Tracks
1 Groove's Groove See All 11
2 Daahoud
3 Misty See All 8
4 Song for my Father See All 2
5 Things We Did Last Summer
6 Soul Message
Release Date August 3, 1965 / Duration 34:33




This file is intended only for preview!
I ask you to delete the file from your hard drive after reading it.





2 comentarios:

  1. I've got a Groove Holmes on cd so really looking forward to this. Especially as he covers Horace Silver's "father". This has special significance for me. I was 15 yrs old and hanging with my friends in my family's front room, playing cards and Steely Dan Pretzel Logic on the cassette tape. "Ricky" has the intro to "father". I didn't know this until 25 years later I buy Horace Silver's album. However, and here's the kicker, as we played the cassette "East St Louis" comes on, my mother says, "Oh, that's Duke Ellington" so to this day, when I hear Song for my Father", I think of my mother. Rory

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Music throughout life life fills us with experiences and that is good.
      Beautiful anecdote, thank you very much for sharing it Rory

      Eliminar