Review by Richie Unterberger
Very good compilation of 13 soul-jazz cuts from the Prestige vaults featuring the Hammond B-3 organ, recorded between 1959 and 1967. Some of the names (Shirley Scott, Jack McDuff, Richard "Groove" Holmes") are pretty well known to fans of the style, but others are not. It's also a useful disc because it has key sides on which McDuff, Larry Young, John Patton, and others were playing as sidemen to non-keyboardist leaders, and thus might be overlooked by collectors of the style. Willis Jackson's "Pool Shark" (with Carl Wilson on organ) and Trudy Pitts' ebullient run through "Take Five" are real groovers; Richard "Groove" Holmes' "Misty" was a Top Fifty pop hit and one of the few soul-jazz singles to hit the charts.
1. Please Mr. Jackson - Willis Jackson Quintet
2. Takin' Care Of Business - Shirley Scott
3. Smooth Sailing - Arnett Cobb
4. Sticks & Stones - Johnny 'Hammond' Smith
5. Remember - Jimmy Forrest
6. Twistin' The Jug - Gene Ammons
7. Crib Theme - Red Holloway
8. Rock Candy - Jack McDuff
9. Pool Shark - Willis Jackson
10. Donald Duck - Don Patterson
11. Misty - Richard 'Groove' Holmes
12. One Track Mind - Freddie Roach
13. Take Five - Trudy Pitts
This file is intended only for preview!
I ask you to delete the file from your hard drive after reading it.